Agriculture will always be central diversification, as the economy and society evolve. The vision is for an inclusive commercial agriculture sector that is focused on productive value addition in the local economy through a vibrant value chain. Such a sector will not be at the mercy of typical input supply and natural resource risks; thus necessitating the leadership of the private sector in ALL ramifications.
Kwara State Agricultural Modernization Master Plan (KAMP) ß hyperlink perfectly describes the current state of affairs, further illuminates the State’s vision for development, and clearly indicates how private sector can collaborate as the anchor for change.
| KEY DEVELOPMENT GOALS
- 30% annual growth of foreign and local investors through new/proposed project values
- 30% annual growth in the number of commercial agriculture ventures with cultivable land in excess of 50 hectares
- By 2019: All commercial agriculture settlements in excess of 100 hectares have electricity, water, irrigation facilities less than 5km from main operational base
- Availability of suitable agriculture financing to be accessed by minimum 70% of interested small and medium scale enterprises
- Partnership with academic institutions in research for improved inputs
- Farmer clusters supported by management training, financing, equipment, infrastructure and purchase contracts
- PPPs & Collaborations in agriculture lab, irrigation and other water delivery mechanisms, input/equipment leasing, and financing arrangement